22 Nov Tips and Tricks for Avoiding Conflict at the Thanksgiving Table
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!
The Thanksgiving table is for sharing, savoring and celebrating. However, in today’s political climate it can also become a place filled with divisive, tense conversation. Nobody wants to argue with their loved ones over their Thanksgiving meal, and I want to help you take these potentially stressful moments and turn them into respectful dialogues filled with understanding and growth.
Below are my do’s and don’ts for talking politics at the Thanksgiving table which this year, more so than ever before, might be inevitable.
- Set ground rules
- Don’t be afraid to change the subject
- There’s a time and place to talk politics and Thanksgiving table doesn’t have to be one of them
- Stay respectful and don’t take things personally
- Listen carefully and let people finish talking
- Don’t try to change someone else’s mind because “you are right” and “they are wrong”
Remember the purpose of Thanksgiving – to be thankful, grateful and enjoy each others company!